February 2, 2013

Healthy Salmon Tacos

I've definitely been craving protein during this pregnancy.  I guess this is just my body's way of letting me know what this growing little peanut needs.  I eat (and love) tons of fruits, veggies, whole grains, beans and yogurt, and I fill in some holes with meat subs like those from Morningstar and Amy's.  I've been trying to also add in some salmon for the protein and good omegas, and Lord knows I've been loving some tuna fish sandwiches!  I came across this recipe awhile back and we finally tried it the other night.  These are light and healthy and so yummy!  Plus they were a super quick and easy weeknight meal.

Via
 
Salmon Tacos
(slightly adapted from here...picture is from there too)
 
For the salsa:
2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
4 green onions, thinly sliced
3 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped (plus more for topping)
1/2 small jalapeño, finely diced
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 tsp sea salt

In a small bowl, combine the cherry tomatoes, green onions, cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice and sea salt. Set aside until ready for use.
 
For the salmon:
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp chile powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
12 oz wild Alaskan salmon, in filets
Corn tortillas for serving (the small size)

Garnish:
Feta cheese, crumbled
Lime slices
Cilantro

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  In another small bowl, combine the paprika, cumin, chili powder and sea salt to make the rub.  Generously season the salmon with the rub.  Spray a medium baking dish with Pam and place the salmon fillets inside, skin side down.  Bake for about 12-15 minutes, until the salmon is cooked through and flakes easily.  (Keep an eye on the salmon...dry salmon is no bueno).  Remove salmon from the oven and then flake with a fork.

Warm the tortillas slightly.  For each tortilla, top with the flaked salmon, followed by the salsa, feta cheese, and a cilantro/lime garnish.  I also added a little diced avocado to mine. These are filling all on their own, but I also thought they would be nice with a side of black beans.

No comments: