July 20, 2011

A rant on exercise

Exercise and I have been having this kind of love/hate relationship right now, as in I hate the going to the gym/doing the exercising portion, but I do love the way I feel afterwards.  I have been a faithful gym-goer for about 10 years now  (If you do the math you will see that this falls suspiciously in line with the dreaded freshman 15)  I generally go on my lunch break because I have class at night and I am too darn tired to get up and go in the morning.  This is a pretty good little routine and it makes my afternoons go by a little faster.

For years I was a member of the Y and I loved going to all the different classes.  Then we moved here and I started doing the lunchtime routine and had to find a gym close to the office, so I just joined one of those 24 hour gyms.  Very convenient and literally down the road from my office, but no classes.  Boo.  So this is how I got on the running kick.  Running is hard and I feel like I am getting such a good workout (I do about 4 miles on the treadmill, push-ups, ab work and some yoga thrown in here and there).  I sweat like crazy and some times I feel like I am going to die.  I equate this with fitting in my high school cheerleading uniform.  Instead?  I've gained weight!  How is this possible?!  Now I have to admit that my lower region has toned up and I have some muscle, but why are all my pants and shorts tight?  Has anyone else had this problem?  It's very frustrating.  How can I be working out harder than I used to, yet not seeing results?

We just re-joined the Y so we could go to classes and hang out by the pool on the weekends.  We started doing spin class on Saturday mornings and I've thrown in some Muscle Works and Step when I can (hence why I have been hobbling around for the past few weeks).  I'm really hoping that this will be the extra push I need.  Now don't get me wrong, I am NOT one of "those girls" that sits around and laments about how fat I am and woe is me.  I'm in pretty good shape and I take good care of my body, but nevertheless, things just aren't fitting like they use to.  It's just frustrating when I put so much effort in to working out and eating relatively healthy.  Plus everyone keeps saying, "well you are about to turn 30 and your body just starts to change."  Good grief.  Please tell me turning 30 doesn't have anything to do with it.

Ok that's all.  If you have found a good work-out routine that seems to work for you (that does NOT involve a 5 am boot camp because I'm just not going there) then please share.  Mmm kay, thanks:)

3 comments:

Cassie said...

I love how you say that you eat "relatively healthy." You eat SUPER healthy!! I hear that changing a workout routine will give you the boost you need - not that I have first hand experience of such since my version of working out is picking up a pint of ice cream.

Leanne said...

I'm relatively healthy until I walk in the office kitchen and there are powdered sugar donuts! Ugh!!

Jon and Jessica said...

It is easy to eat a lot more sugar being vegetarian, maybe look at that. I know it is a big one for me (being a healthy vegetarian is actually pretty hard) and cutting out processed sugar got me below my high school weight. I am addicted to sugar, so the only thing that works for me is taking it out 100%, otherwise I "relapse". It's hard but the results are pretty freaking awesome! Plus sugar is terrible for the body in general, I usually have to keep that in mind to help me pass up on the dessert at parties :)